Tuesday, August 9, 2011

出口

Gloria is the school I am working at. And the second picture is of my street!




The title of this blog is 'exit'. The significance: the first Chinese I can read and understand! I was celebrating on the street when I read it! But again, I get ahead of myself.

Earlier today I talked with Kyrstie, my friend who taught here at this school and recommended it to me. After talking to her and being coached through how to get to the main store, I plucked up my courage and headed out. It is a really strange feeling, not being able to read anything. I am essentially illiterate and I'm not really digging it. So I am definitely going to learn Chinese. Kyrstie gave me the name of her tutor while she was here and the name of the place where she took lessons.

So, I headed out and had Starbucks for lunch. Before you berate me for being so Western, it is near impossible to tell what is a restaurant and what is not. Seriously. Some other girls I met in my dorm said they still have trouble telling what is what. Also, I had to go to the bathroom so I went. Well, culture shock number one. Literal hole in the floor that flushes. Clearly, I'm not in Kansas anymore.

After lunch I went to Carrefour - the 'everything store' as they call it. I bought some fresh fruit, a bath towel, some tomatoes and some Crocs. They are already saving my life. I can't believe I haven't owned some before now! It was hilarious when I walked into the hallway in my dorm and the floor is littered with dozens of pairs of Crocs.

An hour or so of wandering around Carrefour sufficed and I came back to my dorm to drop off my purchases and pick up a book. I headed out to explore and came across a little park. I sat down and read for a little while before exploring more. I also came across a little temple on the edge of the park. It springs up out of nowhere and is very quite inside despite being on a busy street. Pretty cool.

I wandered around for a little while and then headed home. When I got out of the elevator I was met by a girl who lives a door down from me, Alex. She and I started talking and then others came out. I met two more girls - Dannica and Cristelle (whom I have been talking to since before I came). They were telling me sort of what to expect in the classroom and around town (ex. the restaurant confusion and the value of 7-11). They have some plans tonight which I have been invited to. And tomorrow there was talk of a hike or something else.

Seems like I'm going to fit in just fine!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you connected up with others... you sounded all alone! Hikers... perfect!!! I can't imagine having to learn Chinese.... you'll have lots of time to get good at it before we visit! lol Enjoying your blog already! Miss you
    oooxxx's

    ReplyDelete