Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sanxia Hike





Monday I had a subbing gig at Dar Nan again, for the same class. I didn't have a ride so I decided to take the bus instead of a taxi over there. People told me it was 20NT for the 201 bus that drops you off right by the school. Well after about 20 minutes on the bus it was apparent that the driver was yelling (? hard to tell if they're talking or yelling) at me and then two young girls got on and he spoke to them and then they turned around and stared at me. Haha. They asked where I was going and I showed them my lesson plan - on the back of it there is the address in both Chinese and English of each school. So then I found out that the bus was actually 36NT, I owed an additional 16NT. And the plus side of that was they knew were I was going so they told me where to get off. I would have had NO idea where if they hadn't told me. Haha. Even with knowing when to get off I still got lost. Let me tell you why. For each word, there are multiple ways to prounounce it...freaky. So the street of the school on the back of my lesson plan says Chung Hsiao. Well there is no street called that. It is written Zongxiao on the street sign. Ummmm - not the same. Luckily, I knew that 'x' is sometimes pronounced as an 's' so I turned down that street and found the school! It is just a good thing I was super early!

After class, I took a taxi back with Mike, another guy who lives in the dorm. Then I met up with Carly and a bunch of us went to get 'hot pot'. It is sort of like fondue, not with cheese. - you cook your food in front of you in boiling water. It was actually pretty good but there were a lot of mystery foods in the bowl.

This morning, I went on a really cool hike with Carly, Kristen, Dannica, and Kelly (new face). It was sort of a long drive to get there but Carly and I talked pretty much the whole way. When you go over this one bridge you can see Taipei 101 some days. It would have been really cool but it was too hazy (smoggy?) to see it. The hike is literally right off the road - you go straight up some stairs and you are right in the thick of it. I was sweating like a huge fat man the whole time. So so so so sweaty. Haha. And it was really similar to parts of Angel's Landing in Zion National Park. Obviously the surroundings are much different - jungle - but we had to climb up ropes and down ropes, up cliff sides, down waterfall routes. It was crazy, but a lot of fun! And at one point you have to repel down about 50 feet of sheer rock. It was awesome! Haha. I loved every second!

After the hike I had an observation and then I subbed a class at Nan Kan. I got a ride with Kelly. It was fun. The class was very energetic and I got to observe and teach with the same co-teacher Sandy. She is really nice!

After that I got a ride with Carly and she, Alex and I went to BBQ. Delicious as always. But on the way, the heavens opened up and there was a crazy downpour. I got soaked! We had to pull over at one point so Carly could stow her iPod and put on a rain jacket. Well, I didn't have one so I was just getting poured on. I was cracking up. And then as quick as it started it was over. Pretty crazy. Apparently that happens a lot. I'll have to invest in a poncho or something of the sort.

I also got assigned to my first regular class! It is on Thursday! Send me good wishes!!! Miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment