Thursday, August 25, 2011

Free Hugs & Search




On Wednesday, I went to Taipei with Alex, Cristelle, Dannica, Kristen and Carly to give free hugs. Carly and Kristen were going to do it so the rest of us just jumped on the bandwagon. It was really fun. We were all a little apprehensive because in general, the people here are pretty much anti-touching. We were well aware of the fact that the day could end with us only hugging each other. Carly bought three signs and we wrote on them in English. In the main station, Carly stopped for breakfast so we thought we would ask someone to write 'free hugs' in Chinese as well. We got a guy to do it for us. When we were on the MRT to our destination Cristelle discovered that the Chinese did not say 'free hugs'. Instead, it was the guy's name who wrote it - HAHA. We were dying laughing. So we went to the information station and they wrote it for us! And then they took a picture. Haha. I've never had my picture taken so many times.

There were plenty of people who were not really into the whole idea but so many more that were. Groups of people were walking in circles to pass us more than once. Parents were bringing their little kids up for hugs. Friends were shoving their friends at us or asking us to hug their friends. It was pretty hilarious. Alex was so funny because she was like a heat seeking missile. If someone looked like they were even considering a hug she would run over and go "HUG!!" I was cracking up just watching her single people out. And Kristen hugged this monk guy that literally just stood there like he was being forced to be hugged. It was awesome!!

On Wednesday night we went to this aboriginal restaurant. A bunch of the native teachers wanted to take Kristen there before she left so we turned it into an outing. A lot of teachers, both foreign and native, showed up. There was music, aboriginal dancing (that I of course took part of), and some of the freakiest food. There was wild rat, ant (like the pest) egg rolls, pork knee. The only crazy thing I ate was a bumble bee. I can't really believe I did that. Haha. It didn't really taste like anything - it was fried - but while I was chewing it I couldn't stop thinking that I was eating a bee and I kind of panicked. Haha.

After dinner, a smaller bunch of us went to a club in the city next to us called Search. It was crazy. Only 200NT for all you can drink, which is less than one beer at the bars at home. Pretty crazy! There was lots of dancing and when Justin Bieber came on, it was like being at a teenage concert - everyone went crazy. Haha. But it was a lot of fun! I didn't end up getting home until really late/early in the morning - at 6am. I'm not really up to staying out that late but it was a really good time. And I have to get all my Kristen time in now. Also, we met a group of German guys that are studying here. So I conversed with them in German, and so practiced my German in the least likely of all places I would ever have imagined.

Today, I had my first regular class. They seem really good! It was fun and there are some good kids. Hopefully they stay really good! I took a cab there because I had no idea how to get there and my cab driver was singing English songs to me the whole time. I was cracking up!

Also, I forgot to tell you that I learned that instead of yelling or getting mad at people while driving here, you just shoot them with your finger guns. Hilarious. Naturally, it is my new favorite thing. And I had ample time to use it on our drive to the hike. We took a wrong turn and ended up getting on the on ramp for the highway. I'm not sure if that is illegal or just ill-advised but we stopped and were pretty much stuck. All the cars going by were honking at us and yelling in Chinese. I was just shooting us the whole time. Haha. It was pretty funny - five foreigners stuck on an on ramp waiting for a break in traffic. So funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment