Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Typhoon

Saturday night, a huge group of us actually went to the park that is right by our house for drinks and to hang out. It is crazy that you can drink in public here. But I guess it is like Europe in that regard. But we hung out there for such a long time, joking around, playing on the playground and just talking. I spent a lot of time with Amy and Jen. They are both so cool. Jen is leaving soon so that is a major bummer. But Amy is here for a while still. I also talked a lot with Josh from Hawaii too. There are just so many cool people here. We ended up staying in the park til about 330. I couldn't believe it - so much for my quiet, early night. Haha.

So, on Sunday we planned to meet at the park to play ultimate Frisbee with a group of people. I showed up a few minutes late and then Carson showed up right after. And then within three minutes it was raining pretty hard. And other people started arriving but we didn't know what to do really - should we play or not. Well, we decided to play and it was such a good idea. We played ultimate and then football for a couple hours in the pre-typhoon weather. It was super rainy and so windy! The Frisbee was doing all sorts of crazy things and it made the game so much more interesting. Haha. The group was me, Carly, Carson, Dustin, Brian, Brian, John, and Fifi (John's wife).

After frisbee, Carly and I went to dinner at TGI Friday's. She was really craving a steak, which she got. It was funny to be in a Friday's in Taiwan. And after that, we met up with Cristelle and her family who were visiting. They stayed in this really nice hotel a couple blocks from the dorm so we met them for drinks and conversation at the hotel bar. It was really nice. They had just gotten back from Cambodia and hearing them talk about it made me want to up and leave Taiwan. I can't wait to travel all around - soon or even in the distant future.

After the hotel we met up with a bunch of people and went bowling. It was a lot of fun! Bowling is such a good activity for people who are getting to know each other because it is so social. It's not like playing sports where all you want to do is obliterate the other person. Haha. But it was a lot of fun. And n Sunday night we found out that we had a 'typhoon day' on Monday. So we basically had a free day. We decided that we had had so much fun playing in the rain that we wanted to do it again.

So Monday day, Alex and I headed to the park at noon, the decided upon time. Well, apparently everyone had a harder time waking up than was anticipated because we were the only ones there until Carson arrived at about 1245 and let us know that it was pushed back to 130. So we had a lot of bonding time at the park. And of course because it was a scheduled typhoon day, there was not even an inkling of a typhoon - save for wind. There was no rain, it was sunny, and hot. And there was a much bigger crowd than the previous day. So we played football and ultimate again. But it was a little too windy for the Frisbee so we played ultimate rules with a mini football. It was really fun.

After that, (Alex and I were at the park for five hours, literally) we all ran home, showered and then went to get some DELICIOUS Thai food for dinner. I seriously could not stop eating the food in front of me. Hard to believe right? Haha. But it was really good food and company and I got to talk to some other teachers that I haven't spent as much time with. I also got to solidify plans to buy Jen's scooter when she leaves on September 6th. I am so looking forward to that.

Today, all the new teachers (whoever has been here less than a year) had a workshop on teaching outside Gloria English classes. Companies and schools contract out to Gloria for teachers so they have a little workshop on teaching. And I actually got assigned a class. So tomorrow morning I am going to have an interview/meeting with the principal of the school where I am going to teach. It is called Ching-Shi Elementary school. I'm excited but kind of nervous because I will be the only teacher. There is no co-teacher to do the discipline or anything. Hopefully I get a good, well behaved class!

Also, I had successful scooter drive today! And I am good at driving now. No incidents, or even close calls or anything. And we got totally caught in the pouring rain. Should have had the typhoon day today and not yesterday. But that makes me feel a lot better because I was really nervous to drive after the whole running into the wall ordeal. Haha.

I also had two more of my regular classes. Both are at Tung An so that is really nice because I don't have to go anywhere.

Think good thoughts about me tomorrow for my interview!! Asian love to you all!!


2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Good luck in your interview! And don't worry, all Asian children are very well behaved. Well, most of them anyways :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do great... you probably won't even have to be strict!! Start out firm and then- ease up-it works out best!
    can't wait to hear all about it.
    OOOXXXX's

    ReplyDelete